National News

Scammers are stooping to a new low, targeting war veterans

Scammers are stooping to a new low, targeting war veterans

Niël Terblanché In a disturbing turn of events, scammers have resorted to impersonating officials from the Ministry of Defence and Veterans Affairs (MODVA) in an attempt to extract personal bank account information from Veterans of the National Liberation Struggle. Colonel Petrus Shilumbu, the head of MODVA’s public relations division in a statement said this new and alarming trend has raised concerns among authorities, prompting him to issue a call to struggle veterans to be cautious. According to the colonel, the Ministry recently received credible information regarding individuals falsely representing themselves as MODVA officials. “These imposters approach war veterans, requesting their…
Read More
Erongo Region welcomes new Chief Regional Officer

Erongo Region welcomes new Chief Regional Officer

Niël Terblanché The Erongo Regional Council has welcomed a new leader to its ranks with the appointment of Mupenzeni Ntelamo as the Chief Regional Officer (CRO), effective from December 1st. Ntelamo’s appointment follows the resignation of the former CRO, Ludmilla Habate Doȅses, in September last year. In a statement, Benita Imbamba, Chairperson of the Erongo Regional Council, expressed the council’s enthusiasm for this new chapter. “The entire Erongo Regional Council, management, and staff, are honoured to welcome Mr Ntelamo as the new Chief Regional Officer,” she said. Imbamba conveyed her confidence in Ntelamo’s leadership abilities and vision for development, emphasizing…
Read More
Verdict for SIM card registration extension set for 29th

Verdict for SIM card registration extension set for 29th

Martin Endjala The Executive Director of the Ministry of Information Communication and Technology (MICT), Audrin Mathe, announced that the ministry will decide on 29 December 2023, regarding whether to extend the national Subscriber Identity Model card (SIM card) registration process. Mathe explained that this decision will be based on the data collected weekly by both Mobile Telecommunications (MTC) and Telecom Namibia in collaboration with the ministry. “As things stand, the deadline remains unchanged, and we will not make any changes to the registration process. The deadline of December 31, 2023, still stands. Over the next two weeks, we will engage…
Read More
Ministry of Health refutes claims about secret WHO negotiations

Ministry of Health refutes claims about secret WHO negotiations

Hertta-Maria Amutenja The Ministry of Health and Social Services (MHHS) has denied allegations of misinformation surrounding Namibia’s involvement in negotiations at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland. The ministry has expressed concern over the potential impact of falsehoods on national interest and public sentiment. The controversy arose following a press conference led by the leader of the Republican Party of Namibia Henk Mudge, earlier this month. Mudge’s speech delved into concerns about the WHO’s proposed amendments to the International Health Regulations of 2005 and the introduction of a new pandemic treaty. He asserted that the global health crisis,…
Read More
Relentless search for drowning victims continues in Henties Bay

Relentless search for drowning victims continues in Henties Bay

Niël Terblanché The coastal town of Henties Bay remains in mourning as the relentless search for the bodies of two young girls who tragically drowned in the Atlantic Ocean on Friday continues. The community has come together to support the search efforts, determined to bring closure to the grieving families. The heart-wrenching incident unfolded three days ago on a popular Henties Bay beach. The two young girls, identified as Hilia Rashmie and Mary-Anne Mimie Mbok, aged 10 and 11, were swept away by powerful waves while playing with a group of friends along the shoreline. Inspector Illeni Shapumba, the head…
Read More
Visas-on-arrival now available at Zambezi border post

Visas-on-arrival now available at Zambezi border post

Stefanus Nashama The Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety, and Security has introduced visa applications for travellers upon their arrival at the Katima Mulilo, Ngoma, and Impalila Island border posts in the Zambezi Region. This initiative complements the existing visa-on-arrival services at Hosea Kutako International Airport, Trans Kalahari, and Walvis Bay border posts. During the launch of this service in the Zambezi Region last week, Minister of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety, and Security, Albert Kawana, emphasized the visa application process and payment methods. Travellers arriving at the Katima Mulilo border post will be required to complete visa application forms, attach…
Read More
MUN members gain access to new financial products

MUN members gain access to new financial products

Niël Terblanché The Mineworkers Union of Namibia (MUN) has unveiled a suite of new financial products for its members, providing them with expanded opportunities through the Namibia Miners Investment Trust (NAMIT) Education Fund. The announcement was made during the union’s recent Indaba, which took place in Swakopmund and was attended by MUN leadership from various parts of Namibia, NAMIT management, and technical partners from Legalwise in South Africa. MUN President Ismael Kasutasai expressed the union’s commitment to meeting the needs of Namibian workers. “At the MUN, we always put the needs of Namibian workers as our motivation. This does not…
Read More
GIPF appoints new leadership for 2024

GIPF appoints new leadership for 2024

Hertta-Maria Amutenja The Government Institutions Pension Fund (GIPF) has officially appointed Penda Ithindi as the Chairperson and Evans Maswahu as Vice-Chairperson of the GIPF Board of Trustees, effective from January 1, 2024, to 31 December 2024. GIPF Acting Chief Executive Officer, Onno Amutenya made the announcement last week. Ithindi, renowned for his extensive experience in economics, capital markets and investments, has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 21 August 2020, following an appointment by the government. He served as the Chairperson of the Investment Committee and as a member of the Audit and Risk Committee. Amutenya said…
Read More
Authenticity of a notice about a nationwideprotest against unemployment questioned

Authenticity of a notice about a nationwideprotest against unemployment questioned

Stefanus Nashama In a preliminary response to the notification of the planned nationwide protest against unemployment on March 21, 2024, in the country, the Namibian Police Force has questioned the authenticity of the author of the notification letter from the Namibia Economic Freedom Fighters (NEFF). A notification for the protest next year was submitted to the police last week, signed in the name of the NEFF by an individual named Gregory Cloete. The Inspector-General of the Namibian Police, Lieutenant General Joseph Shikongo, wrote to NEFF Leader Epafras Mukwiilongo last week, asking whether Cloete, who is said to be the party’s…
Read More
President hands over 89 MHDP houses in Swakopmund

President hands over 89 MHDP houses in Swakopmund

Niël Terblanché Namibia took a significant step forward when President Hage Geingob handed over 89 houses constructed under the Mass Housing Development Programme (MHDP) to a group of fortunate recipients in Swakopmund. “Today is yet another step forward in the government’s quest for National Housing Delivery. In this Year of Revival, we have managed to accomplish quite a lot, notwithstanding our economic realities. One thing is for sure: No matter what challenges we have faced, are facing, and may face in the future, I can confidently reaffirm our government’s unwavering commitment towards the provision of decent and affordable houses and…
Read More