EY report haunts TransNamib executives

Renthia Kaimbi

TransNamib Limited Holdings has suspended two senior executives with immediate effect following a forensic investigation into alleged property mismanagement, disposal irregularities and statutory breaches.

Executive for human capital Webster Gonzo and executive for properties Alynsia Platt were placed on precautionary suspension on Friday by the TransNamib board.

Minister of Works and Transport Veikko Nekundi confirmed that he approved the decision.

The suspensions follow a forensic probe commissioned into the conduct of the executives. The board has resolved that disciplinary proceedings will now follow. Two days before the suspensions, the company acknowledged that an internal investigation was under way.

Nekundi told the Windhoek Observer that he approved the suspensions after reviewing the forensic report. He said his approach was shaped by an earlier attempt to suspend Platt in July 2025.

At that time, he disapproved of the move, saying it was based on what he considered unsubstantiated hearsay. He said the latest forensic findings provided the grounds that were previously lacking.

The Windhoek Observer understands that the investigation centers around an active board member. Sources say the probe examined the board member’s direct involvement in a N$5.3 million property sale to a company in which she holds a minority stake.

TransNamib chief executive officer Desmond van Jaarsveld signed the deed of sale, according to sources close to the matter.

When approached for comment, Van Jaarsveld did not confirm whether he knew of the board member’s link to the purchasing company at the time of signing. The suspensions have triggered tension inside the parastatal. Sources close to the company allege that Gonzo and Platt may have been targeted because they were suspected whistleblowers in a separate matter involving a nearly N$2 billion direct procurement deal for 23 locomotives.

That procurement process had already drawn attention. In May 2025, Nekundi cancelled the tender, citing geopolitical risks linked to single-source manufacturing. He instructed TransNamib to restart the procurement process. The decision followed public pressure from Affirmative Repositioning (AR) leader Job Amupanda, who described the acquisition as a potential “corrupt last-minute deal.”

The Windhoek Observer understands that Van Jaarsveld has pushed for the locomotive bid to remain restricted to a single manufacturer, though it could not be established how far that process has advanced.

The controversy has also led to questions about Van Jaarsveld’s appointment. A shortlisting report compiled by the Capacity Trust in 2023 stated that the chief executive role required a Master’s degree in business administration. Van Jaarsveld holds a Master of Science degree in Food Microbiology.

The same report shortlisted Van Jaarsveld alongside Martin Inkumbi of GIPF, Jerome Mutumba of DBN and Festus Hangula of NamPost. Maria Nangolo and Richwell Lukonga were shortlisted with reservations. The report noted that most candidates did not show clear experience in the transport sector.

Van Jaarsveld’s CV lists leadership roles at Namibia Breweries Limited (NBL) and Safland. The Windhoek Observer has received allegations about the circumstances of his departure from those positions.

Sources claim he was placed on sabbatical at NBL and was asked to leave Safland “due to incompetence” before completing his five-year contracts. Van Jaarsveld did not respond to requests to confirm these claims. The forensic report that led to the suspensions was compiled by lawyer Chris Moller, who is admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of South Africa.

Moller previously served as head of forensics and integrity services at Ernst and Young (EY) in Namibia. It is understood that he investigated the same executives in 2023 and that those findings were dismissed by the then ministers of finance and public enterprises, the TransNamib board at the time and the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC). Neither Gonzo nor Platt responded to questions by the time of publication. In a statement, TransNamib said the company remains operational and committed to governance.

“We believe this is the right decision under the circumstances and wish to assure our esteemed stakeholders and customers of our commitment to transparency and integrity,” the board said.

Related Posts

No widgets found. Go to Widget page and add the widget in Offcanvas Sidebar Widget Area.