Main

Political parties clash with ECN over ballot observation costs

Political parties clash with ECN over ballot observation costs

Allexer Namundjembo  The Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) says it will not cover travel expenses for political parties and stakeholders who wish to observe the printing of ballot papers.  The observation is for the ballots of the 2025 regional and local elections, set for next month.  All registered political parties, organisations, and associations are invited to observe the ballot paper production at their own expense. ECN said this decision was first communicated during the political parties liaison committee meeting on 3 September 2025 and reaffirmed during another PLC meeting on 14 October 2025. ECN chief electoral officer Peter Shaama said…
Read More
ECN gives ballot printing tender to SA company again

ECN gives ballot printing tender to SA company again

Allexer Namundjembo  The Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) will again pay a South African company, Uniprint Global, N$4.9 million to print ballot papers for the upcoming regional and local authorities elections.  This comes after no local companies made it to the final bidding stage. The elections are scheduled for 26 November 2025.  During the bidding process, ECN said seven local and five international companies purchased bid documents, but only four international companies submitted final bids.  The bids ranged between N$4.9 million and N$8.3 million, including delivery costs. The open international bidding process started on 16 June and closed on 28…
Read More
Henties council defies ministry over 100ha land sale

Henties council defies ministry over 100ha land sale

Renthia Kaimbi A plan by the Henties Bay Municipal Council to sell 100 hectares of coastal land for a major new development has sparked public outcry. Residents filed a formal objection just a day before the deadline. The objection, submitted on Wednesday, 8 October 2025, by local property owners, claims the proposed sale to Aetheria Strategic Investments (Pty) Ltd violates ministry directives, lacks transparency and could overwhelm the town’s strained infrastructure. The Ministry of Urban and Rural Development (MURD) had earlier warned against such land allocations.  In a letter dated 17 April 2025, executive director Wilhelmine Shivute expressed “great concern”…
Read More
Savva remembered as builder of Walvis Bay’s economy 

Savva remembered as builder of Walvis Bay’s economy 

Renthia Kaimbi The late Walvis Bay business leader and honorary consul for Cyprus and Greece, John Savva has been described as a man who contributed greatly to the town’s economic and social development.  He owned Venus Supermarket, the Atlantic Hotel in Walvis Bay, and the Afrodite Beach property development near Dolphin Beach.  His passing on Saturday has drawn tributes from national leaders and the Walvis Bay community, who remembered him as a builder, mentor, and leader. President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah conveyed her condolences, describing Savva as a key figure in the Walvis Bay business community who played a major role in…
Read More
Ngurare to ‘Play God’ over third terms at SOEs boards 

Ngurare to ‘Play God’ over third terms at SOEs boards 

Justicia Shipena Prime minister Elijah Ngurare will have the final say on who can serve a third term on state-owned enterprises boards (SOEs) under the newly proposed Public Enterprises Governance Amendment Bill. Ngurare tabled the bill in Parliament on Wednesday. It seeks to realign powers and responsibilities in the governance of state-owned entities and amend the Public Enterprises Governance Act of 2019 (PEGA).  The amendment gives the prime minister sweeping powers previously held by the ministers of public enterprises and finance. Under the new law, board members will serve a three-year term, renewable once.  A third term will only be…
Read More
The allegations Nust couldn’t bury …Naomab placed on precautionary suspension

The allegations Nust couldn’t bury …Naomab placed on precautionary suspension

 Justicia Shipena The Namibia University of Science and Technology (Nust) has appointed an external firm to carry out a forensic investigation into allegations of mismanagement by its vice chancellor, Erold Naomab — allegations the university had previously denied existed. Nust Interim Council chairperson Leake Hangala said on Wednesday the decision was made to ensure an independent and transparent process following claims implicating the university’s top leadership. “The council has resolved to initiate a forensic investigation to independently and impartially examine the allegations. This step underscores our commitment to accountability, ethical leadership, and good governance,” Hangala said. The move comes after…
Read More
Legal showdown looms in Dâures Constituency …as Ultimate Safaris drags mining firm to court

Legal showdown looms in Dâures Constituency …as Ultimate Safaris drags mining firm to court

Renthia Kaimbi Ultimate Safaris managing director Tristan Cowley has filed an urgent court interdict to halt mining and blasting activities at Goantagab.  He says the operations threaten a planned N$100 million luxury lodge and the survival of black rhinos in the area. In his sworn affidavit dated 29 September 2025, Cowley told the High Court that the mining must be halted to protect a tourism investment that depends on international conservation funding.  The lodge project, named Doros Plains, is tied to a repayable loan from the Africa Conservation and Communities Tourism Trust (ACCT) Fund, supported by the Nature Conservancy and…
Read More
PM tries to tenderise Mushokabanji’s leadership at Meatco 

PM tries to tenderise Mushokabanji’s leadership at Meatco 

Justicia Shipena Prime minister Elijah Ngurare says former Meat Corporation of Namibia (Meatco) chief executive officer Mwilima Mushokabanji should be commended for his leadership at Meatco.  Ngurare said Mushokabanji led Meatco under difficult circumstances. Ngurare recently told Parliament that it would be an oversimplification to blame Meatco’s financial and structural challenges on one individual.  He said the company’s problems stem from long-standing inefficiencies that existed before Mushokabanji’s tenure. “The difficulties encountered by Meatco are rooted in longstanding structural and operational inefficiencies that predate Mr Mushokabanji’s tenure. Notably, it was during his tenure that many of these contractual anomalies and unsustainable…
Read More
Kabila’s death sentence puts Namibia in tight spot

Kabila’s death sentence puts Namibia in tight spot

Renthia Kaimbi Namibia faces a diplomatic test as the death sentence imposed on former Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) president Joseph Kabila draws questions about justice and political stability. International relations analyst Marius Kudumo said the focus will be on how Namibia manages the potential implications of the case diplomatically.  He noted that, while a major diplomatic fallout is unlikely, Namibia’s response will reflect its commitment to the Southern African Development Community (SADC) values of rule of law and human rights. The Congolese military tribunal last week sentenced Kabila to death in absentia on charges of war crimes and treason. …
Read More
Shocking lapse: NSFAF clueless about cyberattack …Over 7 000 students’ data exposed online

Shocking lapse: NSFAF clueless about cyberattack …Over 7 000 students’ data exposed online

Justicia Shipena and Shelleygan Petersen The Namibia Student Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF) says it was unaware that personal information of more than 7 000 students had surfaced publicly. The Windhoek Observer obtained a document containing names, surnames, NSFAF identity numbers, Namibian IDs, mobile numbers, email addresses, academic details, country and institution of study, student numbers, loan and grant information, as well as non-tuition fees. When approached on Tuesday, acting NSFAF chief executive officer Kennedy Kandume denied any data leak or hack.  “I am not aware of such,” he said. After being shown the document, Kandume denied that the information came…
Read More