National News

Nasan appeals fuel sourcing ban through Ndaitwah’s law firm

Nasan appeals fuel sourcing ban through Ndaitwah’s law firm

Renthia Kaimbi Nasan Energies has formally appealed the Namibian Competition Commission’s (NaCC) decision to block the company from sourcing fuel from Vitol and related companies following its acquisition of 52 fuel stations. The appeal was confirmed in government gazette notice no. 158 of 2026, published on 8 May. Court documents show that Ndaitwah Legal Practitioners filed the review application on 8 April 2026 on behalf of Nasan Energies.  The law firm belongs to Ndeli Ndaitwah, one of President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah’s sons. The appeal challenges conditions imposed by the NaCC when it approved the merger on 1 April 2026. NaCC approved…
Read More
Linden Beef collapses under N$28m debt …as it fails to oppose Bank Windhoek’s liquidation application

Linden Beef collapses under N$28m debt …as it fails to oppose Bank Windhoek’s liquidation application

 Justicia Shipena  The High Court has placed Linden Beef Close Corporation under final liquidation after the company failed to appear in court during a winding-up hearing held in Windhoek yesterday.  High Court judge Beatrix de Jager issued the order.  “The respondent is placed under a final order of winding-up,” De Jager ruled.  Linden Beef had already been placed under provisional liquidation on 8 August 2025. The matter returned to court for a final hearing after several postponements.  The company had legal representation when the case was postponed on 3 December 2025. The court noted that notices of the hearing were…
Read More
Andreas pursues defamation claims over Facebook comments

Andreas pursues defamation claims over Facebook comments

Renthia Kaimbi Businessman Joseph Andreas has launched legal action against two Facebook users, demanding public apologies, removal of social media posts and N$250 000 each in damages over alleged defamation. Through his lawyers, Afrika Jantjies & Associates, Andreas issued letters of demand on Monday to Kawana Mandume and Nghipundilo ya Shiindi. The dispute relates to Facebook posts published on or about 15 May, which Andreas says contained false and damaging claims about his character and business affairs. According to the letters, the posts described Andreas as a “thug” who “parades as a businessman”, a “buffalo with the big stomach from…
Read More
New taxi fare brings little relief outside Windhoek

New taxi fare brings little relief outside Windhoek

Patience Makwele  Taxi drivers in Katima Mulilo say the new N$15 taxi fare mainly benefits operators in bigger towns like Windhoek.  Yesterday, the taxi fare increase took effect across the country. A taxi driver in Katima Mulilo, Kamwi Muhamubi, said even the previous N$13 fare was difficult to enforce because many commuters negotiated lower prices or claimed they did not have enough money. “This N$15 is only benefiting drivers in bigger towns like Windhoek. Here in Katima Mulilo, people never even wanted to pay N$13,” he said. “Sometimes you spend the whole day working and go home with only N$500…
Read More
Otavi residents slam council over poor service delivery

Otavi residents slam council over poor service delivery

Patience Makwele  Otavi residents have accused the town council of failing to deliver basic services. Residents say the town council is failing to provide proper sanitation, water access and street lighting. They also complained about poor infrastructure in residential areas and dark streets caused by a lack of high mast lights. The complaints emerged during the Otavi Municipality’s public consultation meeting on the proposed 2026/2027 budget, where residents questioned why many basic services remain unresolved despite years of complaints. Several community members said the town’s open market still lacks proper public toilets, forcing vendors and shoppers to operate under poor…
Read More
CoW halts Havana house demolition

CoW halts Havana house demolition

Allexer Namundjembo  The City of Windhoek says it has resolved the matter involving a house built without municipal approval in Havana Informal Settlement earlier this year. City of Windhoek spokesperson Lydia Amutenya said the homeowner approached the municipality after compliance directives were issued and requested that some of the conditions be relaxed. Amutenya said the city considered the request and revised some of the conditions, subject to strict compliance measures. “As part of the agreement reached, the owner committed through a sworn affidavit that the structure will primarily be used for residential purposes, while limited charitable activities such as Bible…
Read More
Police denies Okondjatu shooting cover-up

Police denies Okondjatu shooting cover-up

Patience Makwele  The Namibian Police Force (Nampol) has denied allegations of a cover-up in a recent shooting incident at Okondjatu settlement in the Otjozondjupa region.  The debate intensified over the weekend after social justice activist Michael Amushelelo alleged that police attempted to conceal details surrounding the shooting incident earlier this month. In response, Nampol spokesperson deputy commissioner Kauna Shikwambi rejected the allegations and insisted the force remains committed to “fairness, transparency and professionalism". According to Shikwambi, officers responding to a violent incident on 4 May allegedly came under attack from a suspect armed with a machete before officers shot and…
Read More
Low-income Namibians forced to walk on unsafe roads

Low-income Namibians forced to walk on unsafe roads

Patience Makwele  A new report has found that more than 70% of daily travel among low-income households in Namibia depends on walking and cycling.  The findings were highlighted on Friday during the launch of the United Nations Global Road Safety Week in Windhoek under the theme “Make Walking and Cycling Safe”. The report, titled Towards Policy Interventions for Non-Motorised Transport in Small and Medium-Sized Urban African Towns: The Namibian Case, found major gaps in infrastructure, funding and policies supporting pedestrians and cyclists. Speaking at the event, executive director in the ministry of works and transport Jonas Sheelongo, speaking on behalf…
Read More
Stina Wu leaves homeowners paying for unfinished homes

Stina Wu leaves homeowners paying for unfinished homes

Renthia Kaimbi Residents of a housing development project in Rundu say they have been paying mortgages since 2022 for houses that remain unfinished. The affected homeowners secured bank pre-approvals for houses in the Kaisosi housing development owned by Chinese businesswoman Stina Wu. Despite receiving financing approval two years ago, the residents say they have still not taken occupancy of their homes. Social justice activist Michael Amushelelo said he received complaints from several affected homeowners. According to Amushelelo, homeowners are paying monthly mortgage deductions while also paying rent elsewhere. “It is rather painful to be paying for a house loan in…
Read More
Asoli says President is silent on medicine shortages

Asoli says President is silent on medicine shortages

Allexer Namundjembo The Asoli Progressive Party has questioned President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah over what it described as silence on ongoing medicine shortages in public hospitals.  Asoli's president Josef Kauandenge said the government has not responded to the crisis with enough urgency. Kauandenge said the party is disappointed by the “deafening silence” from the presidency as state hospitals across the country continue struggling to supply critical medicines. “The President, as the custodian and leader of the Namibian nation, should have come forth outlining why there are shortages of critical medicines in our hospitals,” he said on Sunday.  Kauandenge also questioned health minister…
Read More