Fast response quells panic as fire erupts at Dunes Mall

Niël Terblanché

Panic and alarm gripped shoppers at the Dunes Mall in Walvis Bay when a fire erupted in the loading area behind the building, causing a considerable column of smoke to billow into the sky.

The immediate response from the Walvis Bay Fire Brigade managed to control and extinguish the fire promptly, averting a potential disaster and ensuring the safety of the shoppers and residents of the harbour town.

The alarm was raised by frightened shoppers in the parking area who noticed the large column of smoke.

The origin of the fire was quickly identified as a collection of empty cardboard boxes and old display cabinets in the loading area behind the main building.

Initial reports point to a discarded burning cigarette butt, likely dropped amidst the cardboard boxes by a worker during a smoke break, as the most probable cause of the fire.

The Walvis Bay Fire Brigade promptly rushed to the scene and was able to extinguish the blaze efficiently, preventing it from spreading to the main buildings of the shopping centre and averting a possible escalation.

Their swift and effective response played a crucial role in managing the situation and alleviating the panic that had ensued among the residents and shoppers.

Fortunately, there were no reports of injuries or fatalities due to the fire.

Besides the burned display cases and cardboard boxes, no other significant damage to the main structures of the shopping centre was reported.

The quick containment ensured the preservation of property and safeguarded the well-being of the individuals present at the location.

Related Posts