Feud between Grootfontein CEO councillor drags on

Tujoromajo Kasuto

Grootfontein municipality has appointed an acting Chief Executive Officer following the suspension of its substantive CEO, Kisco Sinvula.

The mayor of the Otjozondupa town, Talisha Garises said Sinvula was being investigated for serious allegations, which she died was unable to disclose.

The acting CEO is Sarie Hangara.

The mayor said the suspension is to pave the way for a thorough investigation into the allegations levelled against Sinvula.

Today Sinvula attempted to enter the municipal building by force, but was he stopped and escorted out of the premises by a security guard.

A case of trespassing was opened with the Namibian Police against Sinvula.

After his removal from the municipal offices, the suspended CEO, the Windhoek Observer is told did not return.

However, he still has the keys to his office, member of the management committee, Elizabeth Kastoor said.

She adds that the security company has been notified not to allow him entry to the premises.

Garises however, revealed that a lawyer’s firm Kangueehi and Kavendjii Inc is also implicated in some of the allegations, but that more information will be revealed as the investigation progresses.

In addition, the Mayor filed a complaint with the Minister of Urban and Rural Development, Erastus Utoni, against Sinvula for alleged insubordination and for not improving service delivery at the municipality.

According to the mayor, Sinvula also failed to call any council meetings since his appointment on February 17, 2022.

Furthermore, a notification letter seen by Windhoek Observer states that the CEO was absent from office without permission on several occasions, claiming to attend board meetings while ignoring the requested council meetings.

According to the Local Authority Act, Garises said that new councillors must

hold their first council meeting within 10 days of being sworn into their new position, and council must meet at least 10 times per year.

To comply with this, Sinvula stated that it is impossible given his current official activities outside of office and the time required to prepare for a council meeting.

He had vowed, however, that his office organised the said meeting and has scheduled it for April 8, 2022, but council objected, and it was held on March 23, 2022.

Following his suspension, Sinvula wrote a letter to the Police, saying that he was axed illegal

Sinvula refused to accept the suspension, stating that he ‘’remains in my office until such time Council complies with the law’’.

Garises noted that the decision to suspend him was confirmed by four councillors, with two objecting and one abstaining.

Related Posts