MINISTER of Health and Social Services, Dr Kalumbi Shangula, says Namibia already has preventative measures in place.
The Minister says this in view of reports in other countries, especially the neighbouring countries of Botswana and Namibia of the resurgence of Coivid-19 new variant described as “worst” than hitherto heralding the fourth wave.
“Travelers have requirements. These measures are still in existence. We will see whether they are sufficient. If we need to bring in other measures then we will consider that and we will inform the public accordingly,” he says.
Meanwhile Shangula, has applauded the decision by England to add Namibia to its red list as of today, saying that every country has a right to make a sovereign decision to protect its citizens from the global pandemic. “We also do the same. When we had fewer cases in Namibia we locked down the country, for people to not come here. Each country has the right to do what they feel is correct,” Shangula says.
England’s decision is after scientists raised the alarm over a new Covid-19 variant described as the “worst one we’ve seen so far”.
Flight arrivals will be banned from the key tourist destination between 12 noon on Friday and 4am on Sunday while quarantine hotel accommodation is prepared. South Africa and Zimbabwe have also been red listed.
British Health Secretary, Sajid Javid, said: “As part of our close surveillance of variants across the world, we have become aware of the spread of a new potentially concerning variant.
“We are taking precautionary action to protect public health and the progress of our vaccine rollout at a critical moment as we enter winter, and we are monitoring the situation closely.”
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has designated it a “variant under investigation”. The Chief Executive, Jenny Harries, said: “This is the most significant variant we have encountered to date and urgent research is underway to learn more about its transmissibility, severity and vaccine-susceptibility.”