NEFF disappointed in justice system as activist are remanded in jail

Obrein Simasiku

The Namibia Economic Freedom Fighters (NEFF) has claimed political manipulation of the justice system, as its activist Michael Amushelelo together with Affirmative Repositioning movement’s (AR) Dimbulukeni Nauyoma, were remanded in custody until 28 July, as they made their second court appearance today.

“This is a waste of time and state resources. How can they continue postponing the matter when they (justice) know they have no strong case against our activists. We know and understand that this is politics at work, and we shall make sure that those chaffing the cards will be taken to task,” said NEFF’s second in command, Kalimbo Iipumbu outside court.

State prosecutor, Emmah Mayavero before requesting for a remand, said, “investigations are not done, as there are pending statements from some Chinese nationals. This is a final remand, and certainly will be ready come 28 July. However, accused number 1 and two are further remanded in custody.”

The presiding magistrate Niinja Hochobes, was also informed by the accused defence lawyer, Kadhila Amoomo, that they were pursuing another bail application on fresh grounds, and an order was granted for Thursday (July 7).

This will be the second attempt, after their quest for formal bail, was quashed by magistrate Masule Kwizi, in a judgement delivered on 24 May, arguing that the two might re-offend because they committed the offence while already on bail for different offences.

Amushelelo and Nauyoma, have been in police custody since their arrest on 12 and 13 May respectively, following their involvement in the protest to shutdown Chinese businesses, asserting that they are a haven for counterfeit products. The protest was the result of the Namibia Revenue Agency (NamRA) in May confiscating and destroying N$5 million worth of imported goods belonging to locals, which were alleged to be fake.

Since then Amushelelo, organised mass protests to close down all Chinese business, a move which led to Police Chief Sebastian Ndeitunga to sanction his arrest for creating chaos, while Nauyoma and six others were apprehended the next day as they continued with the protest.

The two are charged with public violence and incitement to commit an offence and appeared along four of their co-accused, NEFF leader Epafras Mukwiilongo, Annacky Amupanda, Risto Ithikwa and Amushelelo’s wife Julieta in the Katutura Magistrate’s court today for their second court appearance but their matter was postponed due to pending investigations.

Meanwhile, two more accused persons Lawrence Mwatile and Emily Mununga, who did not make it to court were issued with warrants of arrests, but following consensus from the defence council and state, their arrests were withheld until the next court appearance. The no-show accused allegedly understood that the court was only tomorrow.

“Our decision whether we shall stick to the renewed call of a second formal bail application, based on new facts which is set for 7 July, will depend on the outcome of the High Court appeal; this means if we get a date which is not too far, we shall abandon the second bail application,” said Iipumbu.

By Observer