Toddler drowns in water bucket in Omusati

Tujoromajo Kasuto

A 17-month old toddler, Kamhulu Silas Kasheka, died yesterday in Okafakoushongo village, Outapi Constituency, Omusati Region after drowning in an uncovered bucket of water while his family was working in the mahangu field.

According to Omusati Regional Crime Coordinator Deputy Commissioner Moses Simao, the baby was last seen in the house just before midday.

“It’s alleged that the deceased was together with his parents and his three sisters in the mahangu field. The deceased and his two sisters, both who are minors left the mahangu field and went in the house. The two sisters then returned to the Mahangu field, leaving the deceased alone in the house. Eventually, the elder sister became suspicious of the brother, who seemed to be taking longer in the house and did not return in the field, so she went into the house to look for him and his lifeless body was discovered drowned in the bucket of water that had been left exposed and uncovered in the house,” Simao explained.

Kamhulu’s next of kin are informed and the body has been transported to the Okahao police mortuary for a postmortem to determine the exact cause of death.

Investigations are ongoing.

Meanwhile, a 17 year-old boy died after he was hit by a BB gun Gas Cylinder on the chest, in Hochland park yesterday. Nampol Spokesperson Deputy Commissioner Kauna Shikwambi said the boy died on his way to the hospital.

According to Shikwambi, the deceased and his 17-year-old friend were doing an experiment which was expected to produce a non-violent explosion, in which the cylinder would move along the washing line while burning.

However, the last experiment did not go as usual, when they lit the cylinder, it produced a violent explosion and it exploded, hitting the deceased on his right finger, breaking it and subsequently hitting him in the chest.

“The other boy was also hit on the top left eye and sustained slight injuries. The two boys were both transported to Lady Pohamba Private Hospital. The deceased body was transported to the Windhoek police mortuary for an autopsy. Police investigations into the matter continue,” Shikwambi added.

Related Posts