The country is bracing for mayhem as Namibia Economic Freedom Fighters are planning a massive demonstration tomorrow depending on the outcome of the bail hearing of the China Town protest leaders at the Katutura Magistrate’s Court.
The court will pronounce itself tomorrow on the bail request by NEFF commissar, Michael Amushelelo and AR activist Dibulukeni Nauyoma, who have now spent 10 days following their arrest on 13 May.
NEFF has issued a notice in which they are calling for a nationwide protest, seeking to reinforce earlier sentiments to have all Chinese shops closed down.
‘’This letter serves as a notice that we intend to protest against state capture by Chinese nationals and its business establishment. The National protest depends on the outcome of the bail hearing on Tuesday. The program is to kick start on Tuesday, 24 May 2022, from 12h00 to 18h00, demanding for the closure of all Chinese outlets and its embassy in Namibia,’’ the notice said. NEFF said demonstrations will be extended to all 14 regions with the main gathering being in Windhoek at China Town, the notice issued by NEFF’s vice President, Kalimbo Iipumbu to the Police said.
He further said that they will mobilize the supporters to gather in terms of the Public Gatherings Proclamation (AG. 23 of 1989) on the date and time set out in the notice.
In addition, he said, they will only inform Police Chief Sebastian Ndeitunga via text or a call, for future public events.
Last week they staged a similar protest which petitioned Chinese business community, Namibia Revenue Agency (NamRA), Home Affairs Ministry as well as the Ministry of Industrialisation and Trade, during which they demanded the closure of non-complying Chinese businesses. Further they wanted Chinese business to shift to wholesale selling, so that retailing can be left for locals. In the same vein, they requested the resignation of NamRA’s commissioner Sam Shivute and the closure of the agency.
All these is a fallout from NamRa’s burning of N$5 million worth of counterfeit goods that were confiscated from the public.
A violent confrontation preceded these events and left eight people arrested, while six including NEFF president Epafras Mukwiilongo, were released on warning, except Amushelelo and to face the wrath of the law.
They are charged for incitement to commit public violence, public violence as well assault through threatening. These emanates from events of 12 and 13 May in which Amushelelo took the prerogative to shutdown Chinese business man alone claiming they were selling fake products yet receiving alleged preferential treatment. He was then arrested the following day, after Ndeitunga ordered his arrest. Nauyoma was arrested hours later after initiating another mass demonstration at China Town to shut down the retail compound.
Last week the accused’s defence lawyers, Matha Nambili and Kadhila Amoomo, took on the prosecution fighting for the release of their clients on bail. The matter was heard before magistrate Masule Kwizi with the prosecution handled by Arrie Husselman. The outcome is to be made public tomorrow. Amushelelo’s asked the court to release him on bail of N$1000 and N$500 for Nauyoma.