President Hage Geingob’s statement on Tuesday that he had now received a joint investigation report on the fatal shooting of four unarmed Namibian fishermen by the Botswana Defence Forces (BDF) last month, have been contradicted by head of the investigation, Inspector General Sebastian Ndeitunga who says the investigations are yet to be concluded.
“The team from Namibia went back today (Tuesday) to meet with the Botswana team in Kasane. Investigations are not yet concluded as more information is yet to come from the joint investigation,” Ndeitunga said.
Quizzed on the report that the President had received, Ndeitunga the information held by the President is ‘preliminary’ as investigations are still ongoing, adding that a criminal docket has been opened in Botswana against the soldiers involved in the fatal shooting.
“A docket has been opened in Botswana but no charges are raised against the BDF yet,” the Nampol head said.
This comes as Geingob in his statement issued on Tuesday as part of his address for the last Cabinet meeting for the year, had said “I have just received the joint investigation carried out by the Governments of Namibia and Botswana and after thorough study, its findings will be shared with the Namibian nation.”
We went further and labelled the Botswana Defense Force ‘Trigger-happy.’
“I once again reiterate and extend my deepest sympathies to the Nchindo and Munyeme families on their tragic loss of beloved sons and brothers who brutally died at the hands of the “trigger happy” Botswana Defence Force.”
Botswana’s High Commissioner to Namibia, Batlang Comma Serema when contacted by the Windhoek Observer said he was not aware of the report.
“I have not seen the report, so I am unaware of the findings,” he said.
Anti-BDF protesters leader Nadia Mushambati said the grouping had not received an update on the investigations, nor feedback on its five-day ultimatum for the joint investigation to be concluded.
“We have sent an email yesterday (Monday) to the office of the President; however, we have not received any response on our demands. Our colleagues in Zambezi have met today (Tuesday) and in Windhoek we are meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss the way forward,” she said.
Protesters against the killing of four fishermen by the BDF handed a petition with a list of new demands to the Office of the President on 11 November 2020 demanding for a conclusion in the joint investigation and the removal of current Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, calling her a ‘failure’ and ‘having too much on her plate’.