The Landless People’s Movement has called on President Hage Geingob to relieve the ministers of Mines and Energy, Tom Alweendo and Obeth Kandjoze, the Director General of the National Planning Commission.
In a statement, the deputy leader of LPM Henny Seibeb said the two must be relieved of their duties to ‘’allow for a complete independent investigation and possible prosecution’’.
Seibeb alleged that judging from the ministerial statement around a deal involving the payment of 50 million dollars, it would seem that Alweendo had information of ‘’corruption by his former advisor, but did nothing about it’’.
Without giving any evidence apart from the N$50 million alleged bribe that Alweendo distanced himself from, Seibeb said that the Executive members of the State namely ministers have established themselves as the ‘’dominant forced in society, hence a parasitic symbiotic relationship with especially the Chinese business community’’.
Accusation are that Alweendo, including the mining commissioner Erasmus Shivolo and a former employee of the ministry, Ralph Muyamba, who closely worked in the ministry as Alweendo’s advisor for three-years, allegedly benefited from N$50 million bribe.
The alleged deal involved the renewal of the exploration license (EPL) for Karlowa Mining
Enterprises (Pty) Ltd, belonging to Timoteus Mashuna, in favour of Orange River Mining (Pty) Ltd, which is allegedly owned by Muyamba’s proxy, Peter Karel Shifwaku.
According to Seibeb when it comes to deals going wrong, or controversial government contracts, few names always prop up, amongst them Obeth Kandjoze. “This man is dangerous to his own welfare even,” he claims.
He said it is best to recuse people under suspicion, to gain public confidence and remove any doubt of coercion to anti-corruption agency investigators, while they are investigated.
According to him the two have become a liability in Geingob’s administration.
He proposed to the Standing Committee on Public Accounts of the National Assembly to summon Alweendo and Kandjoze to explain certain core issues around the N$50 million bribe allegations and their involvement.
Alweendo told the National Assembly in a ministerial statement last week that he is clean and incorruptible.
“I am not corrupt, however, one can be corrupted, and this can be done by a valuation team who recommend things to me and I can eventually approve under the impression things are above board.
However, in this case of the N$50 million, I am not involved nor did I receive a cent.’’
“All I can tell you, is many of those who complain or end up approaching the courts, it is companies who
have not made use of the EPLs instead hold onto them, and later want to renew, something we are not condoning as we give to the next applicant who is capable, Alweendo said this during last week’s Thursday’s media briefing on the alleged allegations.